The Planning for Canada pre-arrival initiative held its first-ever event for Ontario alumni on February 28, 2017. Hosted by program partners George Brown College and COSTI Immigrant Services, this was a long-awaited opportunity to welcome program graduates to Canada in person, to re-engage them in the Planning for Canada continuum of services, and to encourage them to continue striving for success.
Over fifty alumni and twenty partner representatives were in attendance, resulting in a high-energy day full of connections and a shared sense of purpose. Many participants commented that the event reinvigorated them to achieve their settlement goals. Alumni appreciated the opportunity to connect, network, and learn more about services available to newcomers in Canada.
Other highlights of the day included:
- An inspiring keynote presentation by Luis Horacio Nájera, the PEN Canada-George Brown Writer-in-Residence
- A panel discussion on Canadian employment and workplace culture
- A speed-dating style Q&A session with Planning for Canada partners
- A discussion on how to strengthen Planning for Canada’s services
- A LinkedIn profile photo booth for alumni
Funded by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), CIIP delivers the joint pre-arrival initiative Planning for Canada with the Canadian Orientation Abroad (COA) Program. CIIP is managed by Colleges and Institutes Canada (CICan); COA is managed by the International Organization for Migration (IOM).